Description of the Program:
The Lawyers in Palestine program is a program that gives you the opportunity to know, understand, and engage with the Palestinian legal system. As a participate in this program, you will be able to learn about the judicial system and how the courts operate in Palestine.
The Lawyers in Palestine program is offered at the Palestinian Center in Hebron. The program is for individuals who want to become acquainted with Palestinian law and learn how judges, prosecutors, and lawyers handle the diversity of cases that are received by the courts in Palestine.
What Makes This Program Special?
In comparison to the rest of the world, the legal situation in Palestine is both complex and rare. This is because of the multiple parties that have ruled Palestine throughout its history. Palestine’s complicated history has affected its current political and legal structure. In 1948, the division of Palestine led to the emergence of different legal systems in the West Bank, Gaza, Jerusalem and the occupied parts of Palestine. There are applicable laws that go back to the era of the British mandate, the Jordanian administration, the Egyptian administration, and also the Israeli Civil Administration in the West Bank. In Palestine, some of the applicable laws issued in 1930 still exist in Palestinian courts. All of this has contributed to the current state of the legal system in Palestine that we see today.
Who Can Apply?
Lawyers, judges, prosecutors, law professors, law students, and anyone who is interested in the legal sphere are welcome to apply to the Lawyers in Palestine program. Individuals from 18 – 70 years old are eligible to participate in this program.
Duration of Participation in the Program
This program is informative and interactive. For this reason, the minimum period of participation is two weeks. This minimum requirement allows for our participants to receive the most out of their time learning about the legal system in Palestine.
The Benefits of the Program
By participating in this program, you will receive the following:
- A guide (a lawyer who speaks English) who will accompany you during your stay in Hebron.
- Meetings with local Palestinian lawyers who will tell you (with a translator) about their profession in law. They will also discuss the variety of cases they work on and the challenges they face as a lawyer in Palestine.
- Meetings with Palestinian judges and prosecutors where you can ask questions and have an informative discussion with them.
- Visits to Palestinian courts in Hebron with a guide who show you and explain to you how the courts function in Palestine.
- A chance to conduct workshops or be a guest lecturer in Hebron University’s College of Law or at the legal clinic. There, you can meet and interact with the law students and professors at the university.
- Engagement with Palestinian community, culture, and daily life.
- Visits to historical sites and refugee camps in Hebron.
- 3 hours of Palestinian spoken Arabic lessons per week.
- Accommodations, which includes either staying with a Palestinian host family or in a dorm.
- A communal Palestinian breakfast every morning with other international volunteers and staff members.
Two Weeks560$ American Dollars
This includes accommodation, local visits, 6 hours of Arabic classes, daily Palestinian breakfast, certificate of participation and a recommendation letter.
One Month950$ American Dollars
This includes accommodation, local visits, 12 hours of Arabic classes, daily Palestinian breakfast, certificate of participation and a recommendation letter.
Two Months1350$ American Dollars
This includes accommodation, local visits, 24 hours of Arabic classes, daily Palestinian breakfast, certificate of participation and a recommendation letter.
When Can I Apply to the Lawyers in Palestine Program?
We work year-round. Participants decide when they are available to participate. We are very flexible when it comes to start and end dates. Participants freely choose their period of participation.
How to Apply & Where Get Any Additional Information?
If you are interested in participation in the program, please send an email to Mr. Mutaz Tamimi at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Lawyers in Palestine program” as the subject line. We look forward to speaking with you.
Go Palestine on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ExplorePalestine
Go Palestine’s Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/gopalestine/
Go Palestine’s LinkedIn account: https://www.linkedin.com/company/go-palestine/
Go Palestine’s Twitter account: https://twitter.com/goopalestine
Watch us on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS7TDUHSo2ZduJn_JaQhDQA